It has been several weeks since my last post, as I have been laid up with the flu, and unable to shake it .
I was surprised at how long it was lasting and 5 days ago I discovered the reason…
WOOD SMOKE !
A friend used a smoke bomb to check my wood burner, as I was a bit concerned, and we discovered that smoke was pouring out from the door and part of the chimney pipe, as well as the pipe being partially blocked .
My carbon monoxide/smoke alarm has obviously packed up, and although I had been aware of smoke in the room, I had convinced myself it was from when I had opened the door to chuck on more wood.
I then read about wood smoke and its effects on health The reason I was not getting better made perfect sense.
HERE is just a part of one article I read ….
◾Although wood smoke conjures up fond memories of sitting by a cozy fire, it is important to know that the components of wood smoke and cigarette smoke are quite similar, and that many components of both are carcinogenic. Wood smoke contains fine particulate matter, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, sulfur dioxide and various irritant gases such as nitrogen oxides that can scar the lungs. Wood smoke also contains chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and dioxin.
◾Wood smoke interferes with normal lung development in infants and children. It also increases children’s risk of lower respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.
◾Wood smoke exposure can depress the immune system and damage the layer of cells in the lungs that protect and cleanse the airways.
So 5 days after the discovery and the fire being fixed, I am able to breathe without my lungs burning, the coughing is almost gone, and I am able to walk short distances, and start doing some work again.
THANK GOODNESS !
SO ANY ONE OUT THERE WITH A WOOD BURNER, TAKE CARE .
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STOVE / CHIMNEY / AND SMOKE ALARM REGULARLY !